This All About Reading program is unique because it begins with a Pre-reading level for preschoolers and kindergarteners, and it focuses on what we call the Big Five Skills. These five fundamental pre-reading skills include letter knowledge, phonological awareness, print awareness, listening comprehension, and motivation to read. It is this specific set of skills that helps pre-readers understand the basics of language and how it works, preparing them to learn to read.
With the All About Reading Pre-reading program, your child will play special games, enjoy little crafts, and engage in charming storytime activities, all the while absorbing these all-important Big Five Skills.
The All About Reading Pre-reading Basic Package includes:
- Teacher’s Manual (208 pages)
- Student Packet
- My Book of Letters and Sounds Activity Book (192 pages)
- Picture Cards
- Letter Sound Cards
- Capital Letter Alphabet Chart
- Lowercase Letter Alphabet Chart
- Progress Chart
- The Zigzag Zebra: a rhyming alphabet
- Lizard Lou: a collection of rhymes old and new
- Divider Cards (to keep your Picture Cards and Letter Sound Cards organized)
- “Letter Sounds A to Z” app
The Basic set does not include the Ziggy Zebra puppet, Tote Bag, or Activity Box. Feel free to supply your own puppet and index card box. These items are also available separately or with the Deluxe set.
(NOTE: The above samples are PDF files and can be opened with the most current version of Adobe Reader. Click here for a free copy of the most recent version.)
Click the graphic below for a free Pre-reading Progress Chart!
What will my student learn in Pre-reading?
The All About Reading Pre-reading program is designed for preschoolers and kindergarteners. Your student will enjoy the special games, crafts, and storytime read-alouds, and you will love the way your student effortlessly learns essential pre-reading skills.
Your student will learn five very important pre-reading skills: Print Awareness, Phonological Awareness, Letter Knowledge, Listening Comprehension, and Motivation to Read. These skills lay the foundation for learning to read. Below is a sampling in each area.
- Learn to recognize capital letters
- Learn to recognize lowercase letters
- Learn to recite the alphabet song
- Learn to blend sounds orally to make a word
- Learn to clap syllables
- Learn rhyming and word boundaries
- Identify the beginning and ending sounds in a word
- Understand that the words on the page can be read
- Understand that books are read from cover to back, and sentences are read from left to right
- Answer simple questions about a story
- Learn to retell a story in his own words
- Ask pertinent questions about a story
Motivation to Read
- Cultivate an enthusiasm for learning
- Instill a delight for books and reading
- Observe situations in which reading is beneficial
- Establish a desire to learn to read and write
What Is the Difference between the Basic and the Deluxe Pre-reading Package?
This chart shows what’s included in each package. The Deluxe package is the most popular version.