Get ready to make reading your student’s favorite subject of the day! This is a delightful, developmentally appropriate method for learning to read.
All About Reading is a scripted, open-and-go program, developed for busy parents, teachers, and tutors who want to teach reading in the most effective way possible.
When you order this set of Level 1 Materials, you’ll receive these five items:
- Level 1 Teacher’s Manual
- Level 1 Student Packet
- Run, Bug, Run! decodable reader
- The Runt Pig decodable reader
- Cobweb the Cat decodable reader
Please note: In addition to the Level 1 Materials, you will also need to choose either the Basic or Deluxe Reading Interactive Kit. The Interactive Kit contains non-consumable items that are used throughout the entire All About Reading program.
Products Needed to Teach Level 1
In order to teach Level 1 to a single student, you will need these items:
All About Reading Level 1 Materials (2nd Edition)
All About Reading Level 1 Materials includes the Teacher’s Manual, one Student Packet (which contains the Activity Book, flashcards, and stickers), and three readers.
Reading Interactive Kit
The Reading Interactive Kit provides the multisensory components for the All About Reading program. This is a one-time purchase, and you will use the same kit for all four levels of All About Reading. It comes in two versions: Basic and Deluxe. Visit Reading Interactive Kits for complete information.
Letter Tiles App or Magnetic White Board
You can choose between our Letter Tiles app or physical letter tiles. Both are great options! Get complete information on the Letter Tiles app, or purchase a 2′ x 3′ magnetic white board to use with the physical letter tiles that come with your Reading Interactive Kit. (Magnetic white boards are available at stores such as Walmart and Staples.)
Optional Product for Level 1
Reading Games with Ziggy the Zebra is an optional Level 1 product.
If you used the Pre-reading program and your child loved Ziggy, you can continue to the fun with this optional book! This full-color book with perforated pages features nine file-folder games that reinforce the skills taught in All About Reading Level 1.
Placement for Level 1
Please note that the Level numbers on the books don’t refer to grade levels. The lessons are mastery-based, not grade-level-based. This means that students are placed where they are at ability-wise, not according to age or grade level. So just because the books say Level 1 doesn’t meant that it is appropriate for all first graders. Some kids may begin the program in kindergarten, while others may begin at an older age.
What will my student learn in Level 1?
Your student will learn exciting new concepts, including letter sounds, phonograms, consonant teams, blending, syllables, sight words, consonant blends, plurals, compound words, and much more. Every component of reading is taught: decoding (phonics and structural analysis), vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension. Below is a sampling in each area.
- Learn techniques for syllable counting
- Isolate sounds in three- and four-letter words
- Practice phonemic substitution
- Learn phonograms A-Z, plus TH, SH, CH, CK, NG, NK
- Read short vowel words containing the new phonograms, such as man, set, pup, quack, class, bench, trunk, king, and gasp
- Read words ending in FF, LL, and SS, as in hill and kiss
- Read words with initial blends, as in step and flag
- Read words with final blends, as in next and lost
Decoding (Structural Analysis)
- Read plural words with suffix s or es, such as pigs and lunches
- Read compound words, such as windmill
- Discuss new words in the context of the story and one’s own life
- Connect new words to familiar words
- Read with accuracy
- Read with meaningful expression
- Read with natural phrasing
- Connect text to one’s own experiences
- Understand dialogue
- Give and discuss opinions
- Set a purpose for reading